One of the leading causes of today’s health issues and death cases is Diabetes. Diabetes is seen as a highly common problem prevailing these days all over the world. In the following article, from ‘what is diabetes to how to prevent it’ – all will be discussed. As I said earlier, my purpose of blogging is to spread awareness of all kinds of health concerns and to share my knowledge, as to some one’s usefulness.
So, let us begin with one of the most common issue – Diabetes
What is Diabetes:
Diabetes is a condition wherein the metabolism reacts in a way that the person suffers from high blood sugar. A person with diabetes has a high tendency of thirst and experiences frequent urination. The medical term of Diabetes, generally referred by doctors is diabetes mellitus.
What is Prediabetes:
A condition where the blood sugar levels are higher than normal. But, not that high that it results to diabetes. People with prediabetes are prone to develop Type 2 diabetes, heart diseases and stroke.
Types of Diabetes:
When we talk about diabetes, there are mainly 3 types of diabetes,
- Type 1 Diabetes:
- The body cannot produce Insulin.
- The Patients have to depend on Insulin Injections all through their life.
- Generally, 10% of all diabetic cases are Type 1 diabetes.
- It can affect people anytime from their childhood till early adulthood.
- Type 2 Diabetes:
- The body does not produce sufficient amount of Insulin. Thus, the body is not able to function properly.
- The patients can control this by continuous experience, proper diet and losing weight.
- Generally 90% of all diabetic cases are Type 2 Diabetes.
- It usually develops in people in their adulthood.
- Overweight and obese people are at higher risk compared to those having healthy body.
- Gestational Diabetes:
- The body is not able to produce sufficient amount of insulin due to the high levels of glucose in the blood. This results in rising level of glucose.
- Affects females during their pregnancy.
- Can be controlled by proper diet and regular exercise. Although, few need to take medication.
Statistics of Diabetes:
- One in every 10 adults are diagnosed with high sugar levels.
- When compared with the statistics of 1988, the percentage of Americans with diabetes has almost doubled today.
- On comparing the figures, from 1988 till 2012, the number of diagnosed diabetes raised from 5.5% to 9.3%.
- By the year 2010, almost 21 million and by 2012, almost 1 million American adults were diagnosed with diabetes.
- Out of this, 1.25 million people suffer from Type 1 Diabetes.
- Number of people diagnosed with Prediabetes cases in year 2012, are 86 million American teenagers ageing 20 years and older.
A list of the 15 most common causes of death in the United States:
Symptoms of Diabetes:Source: CDC/NHS, National Vital Statistics System
- Excessive Thirst
- Increased Hunger
- Frequent Urination
- Weight Loss
- Slow-healing wounds
- Vomit & Stomach Ache
- Lack of Interest
- Numbness in hands or feet
Prevention of Diabetes:
- At present, there is no such cure of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type 2 Diabetes, can be prevented from developing by taking proper diet, continuous exercises and staying active. In other words, by changing the lifestyle, diabetes can be prevented to a certain extend.